*Registration for the 2022 SASEF fair has not opened yet. It will open on September 30, 2021*
Go to the SASEF Online Registration System to register your project.
Below you will find a detailed description of each phase of registration. It is recommended that you read the entire registration procedure in order to avoid any errors in registration process. All registration steps must be completed by posted deadlines. For additional help with registering, use this Step-by-Step Guide with screenshots.
Note: during this step you will be asked if you will be participating in-person or virtually. Students have the option to participate in-person at the University of Tennessee Student Union Ballroom or online via a virtual platform. Regardless of which option students choose, judging will take place on Tuesday, March 29 from 3:00 – 5:00pm EST.
- Human subjects
- Vertebrate animals
- Any item, material, or substance that can maim, kill, or shock
- If yes – your project requires pre-approval. Proceed to b below.
- If no – your project may not require pre-approval. Proceed to b below.
- If no – your project requires pre-approval. Proceed to c below.
- If yes – your project does not require pre-approval. Do not complete c below.
- Login to your project account and click on “Pre Approval Paperwork” at the top of the page.
- Follow all steps to submit pre-approval forms.
- SASEF will review your submission and notify you of your status.
Mail cash or a check made out to “SASEF” to:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
ATTN: Jason Moody
116 Student Services Building
1331 Circle Park Drive
Knoxville, TN 37996
|If paid:||Fee Amount|
|Before Feb. 1||$10.00|
|From Feb. 1-15||$20.00|
|From Feb. 16-28||$30.00|
a. An abstract is required for all projects. There is a 250-word limit for abstracts. To upload your abstract, login to your project account here. Find the abstract section and click “edit”. Type – or copy and paste – your abstract into the box and click “submit”.
b. After you have completed step 4, upload a complete set of ISEF forms as
determined by completing the ISEF Rules Wizard. All projects will be required to
submit ISEF Forms 1, 1A, and 1B regardless of whether they needed pre-approval
(step 3). For your reference, here is a link to all the blank ISEF forms. To complete step 6B login to your project account here and click on “Final ISEF Forms” at the top of the page.
The 2022 SASEF fair will require students to submit their posters digitally in advance of the fair. This is to assist in the judging process so that judges can access student posters after students have left the judging floor. Students that choose to participate in-person will still bring a physical copy of their poster to the fair.
In the SASEF Online Registration System, students will be asked to submit a:
Project poster (required) – All students must submit a digital version (PDF preferred) of their project poster no later than the deadline of March 22, 2022. When creating your poster please note that SASEF will follow the rules set out by the Regeneron International Science & Engineering Fair Guidelines (see page 28-30 of this PDF). Login to your project account here to submit your digital poster by the deadline.
General notes on the project poster requirements:
- Please make sure that all parts of the PDF version of your poster are visible and legible
- Maximum size of Project
- Depth (front to back): 30 in
- Width (side to side): 48 in
- Height (floor to top): 108 in
- SASEF provided tables will be no higher than 36 in
Project video (optional) – a 2-minute presentation is optional for each project. Judges are not required to review the video. Final video must be submitted as a YouTube link.
Additional supporting documents (optional) – you may also submit any additional supporting documents if you wish. Supporting documents may include photos, charts, surveys, project reports/summaries, etc.