*Judge registration opens September 30, 2020*
Each year, SASEF needs about 100 category and special award judges. In the past, scientists, engineers and teachers in and around Knoxville have participated. Most judges work in pairs.
If you have never been a judge, but would like more information about joining our team of volunteers, please read through the information below. If you have further questions please contact Jan Coley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read through this Judge’s Guide to learn more about the judging expectations, project categories, awards, and a tentative schedule for judging day.
Here is an example of a past year’s Judging Rubric.
Timeline for Judges
Contacted by judge supervisor
Register online as a judge (at this time you indicate your preferences for judging – age group, discipline, etc.)
End of February
Student applications due
Judge assignments completed and judges notified
Monday, March 29 (tentative)
Judging Day for the 2021 Virtual SASEF. All items below hosted on a virtual platform.
- 12:30-1:00 pm: Judge assembly for instructions
- 1:00-1:15 pm: Welcome and announcements
- 1:15-5:00 pm: Judges interview students
- 5:00-7:00 pm: Judges submit score sheets, judges for each category meet to choose category winner and recommend projects for higher awards
- 7:00-9:00 pm: Lead judges meet to choose final winners
Tuesday, March 30 (tentative)
Awards ceremony, all judges invited
Location: hosted on a virtual platform
Time: 5:30-7:00 pm