Each year, the SASEF needs more than 100 category and special award judges. In the past, scientists, engineers and teachers in and around Knoxville have participated. Most judges work in pairs. If you have never been a judge, but would like to join our team of volunteers, please contact Jan Coley.
For information on SASEF judging, please refer to the Judges Guide.
Timeline for Judges
November-December — Contacted by judge supervisor
February — Register online as a judge (at this time you indicate your preferences for judging – age group, discipline, etc.)
February 28 — Student applications due
March 15 — Judge assignments complete and posted on website, parking passes mailed to judges
Tuesday, March 31 — Judgment Day at Thompson-Boling Arena Floor
- 12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. — Judge Assembly for instructions
- 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. — Open floor for judges (no students)
- 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. — Judges interview students
- 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. — Judges submit score sheets, judges for each category meet to choose category winner and recommend projects for higher awards
- 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. — Dinner provided (buffet)
- 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. — Lead judges meet to choose final winners
Thursday, April 2 — Awards Ceremony and Social (all judges are invited) 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.