How to Enter
SASEF is open to middle – high school students in its Eastern Tennessee region to present their scientific research from January of the previous year to February of the current year. Entry forms are available in December, and are due by February 28. Fair regulations require actual signatures, so once you complete the online form, you will receive an email that you will print and get the necessary signatures before mailing in to the SASEF address listed. A non-refundable fee is required for each participant (before Feb 15 $10, Feb 15-28 $20, after Feb 28 $30). There is no guarantee that late projects will be judged or appear in the awards program booklet. Please review the below guidelines for a full understanding of SASEF participation.
In this packet you will find the information needed to successfully participate in SASEF. Included are SASEF’s divisions, project categories, what you will need to submit for your entry packet, and SASEF rules for participation.
In this packet you will find the information needed to successfully put together your exhibit on your scientific research. Information includes; rules for your exhibit space, what to include in your exhibit, what to exclude from your exhibit.
Our Service Area
Any public, private or home-schooled student in the SASEF Service Area may enter an exhibit in the SASEF if certain qualifications are met.
Timeline for Science Fair Projects
August – September
Student selects research topic, begins literature review in library.
Student completes literature review; writes hypothesis, objectives, and methods and materials; prepares data book; completes necessary paperwork such as human subject forms.
November – December
- Student completes experiment, analyzes data, writes report and abstract. Entry forms available on SASEF website.
- Deadline for Scientific reviews by SASEF SRC is December 20th
January – February
- In-school fairs may be held at this time (if held after the Feb 28th deadline, the students qualify for the following year’s SASEF, not this year’s); winners selected to participate in SASEF.
- Students complete data book
- Student uses online entry site to complete and print entry forms
- Student mails SASEF entry forms (if qualified to enter) to SASEF, 1534 White Ave. Knoxville, TN 37996-1529 — DUE FEB 28th
- Student and teacher are informed about acceptance into SASEF (listed on this website), all paperwork issues much be resolved.
- Student prepares poster; practices for judge interviews
SASEF during the last week of March or the first week of April.
ISEF (our top two Senior Division project and their teachers qualify for expense-paid trip to ISEF) in May.