How to Enter
SASEF is open to middle – high school students in its Eastern Tennessee region to present their scientific research from January of the previous year to February of the current year. Entry is due by February 28. SASEF has a new online registration system to submit all required documents and forms. A non-refundable fee is required for each participant (before Feb 15 $10, Feb 15-28 $20, after Feb 28 $30). There is no guarantee that late projects will be judged or appear in the awards program booklet. Please review the below guidelines for a full understanding of SASEF participation.
In this packet you will find the information needed to successfully participate in SASEF. Included are SASEF’s divisions, project categories, what you will need to submit for your entry packet, and SASEF rules for participation.
In this packet you will find the information needed to successfully put together your exhibit on your scientific research. Information includes; rules for your exhibit space, what to include in your exhibit, what to exclude from your exhibit.
This form is important for Senior Division participants to complete their Research Plan and Project Summary for SASEF.
This form is the Research Project Plan for the Junior Division only.
Our Service Area
Any public, private or home-schooled student in the SASEF Service Area may enter an exhibit in the SASEF if certain qualifications are met.
Timeline for Science Fair Projects
August – September
Student selects research topic, begins literature review in library.
- Student completes literature review; writes hypothesis, objectives, and methods and materials, prepares data book, and completes necessary ISEF paperwork. *Note that any project requiring SRC approval MUST have the Project Pre-Approval completed and approved before beginning experimentation
November – December
- Student completes experiment, analyzes data, writes report and abstract. Online registration available on SASEF website.
- Deadline for Pre-Approval Paperwork is January 15th. All projects that require an SRC committee review MUST submit a Project Pre-Approval by this deadline. All projects that do not require an SRC review, but have not participated in a school science fair, must also submit for Project Pre-Approval.
- In-school fairs may be held at this time (if held after the Feb 28th deadline, the students qualify for the following year’s SASEF, not this year’s); winners selected to participate in SASEF.
- Students complete data book
- Student submits entry forms online at here — due Feb 28th
- Student and teacher are informed about acceptance into SASEF (listed on this website), all paperwork issues much be resolved.
- Student prepares poster; practices for judge interviews
SASEF during the last week of March or the first week of April.
The International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) – SASEF sends our top two Senior Division projects and their teachers on an expense-paid trip to compete at ISEF